Whether you’re heading out on vacation, attending an important conference, or taking a personal day, it’s essential to let your colleagues and clients know you won’t be available.
One way to ensure everyone gets the memo? Set up an “Out of Office” message in Outlook for Mac.
This guide will walk you through the process step-by-step.
What is an Out of Office Message?
Before diving into the steps, let’s clarify what an “Out of Office” (often abbreviated as OOO) message is.
It’s an automatic email reply that gets sent out when someone tries to contact you during the time you’re unavailable.
It informs the sender of your absence and provides any necessary additional information, such as your return date or alternative contacts.
How to Set Up Out of Office Message in Outlook for Mac:
- Open Outlook: Start by launching the Microsoft Outlook application on your Mac.
- Go to the Tools Menu: In the top menu bar, you’ll find a “Tools” option. Click on it.
- Select “Out of Office”: Within the dropdown list from the “Tools” menu, click on “Out of Office.”
- Choose an Account: If you have multiple email accounts set up in Outlook, select the one you want to set the OOO message for.
- Enable Automatic Replies: You’ll see an option that says “Send automatic replies.” Check the box next to it.
- Set a Time Range: If you know the exact dates of your absence, it’s a good idea to set a start and end date for your OOO message. This ensures the auto-reply only gets activated during this period.
- Craft Your Message:
- Internal Message: This is for people within your organization. Write a clear message explaining your absence and provide any necessary details.
- External Message: If you wish, you can set a different message for people outside your organization, like clients or partners.
- Click “OK”: Once everything looks good and you’ve reviewed your message, hit “OK.”
- Test Your Message: It’s always a good idea to test your OOO reply. Send yourself an email from an external account to ensure everything works as expected.
How to Get Great Out of Office Message:
- Be Clear: Make sure it’s evident right away that you’re out of the office.
- Provide Return Date: Let senders know when they can expect a reply back.
- Offer Alternatives: If there’s another colleague who can assist in your absence, include their contact details.
- Keep it Professional: While it’s okay to infuse a bit of personality or humor (especially if it aligns with your company’s culture), remember that professionalism is key.
Setting up an “Out of Office” message in Outlook for Mac is a straightforward process, but its importance can’t be understated.
Whether it’s to maintain professional relationships, manage client expectations, or simply give you peace of mind during your time off, an effective OOO message is a tool every professional should utilize.
Safe travels or enjoy your break, and let Outlook handle the rest!